Tuesday, December 1, 2009

All About ME!!!

My name is Megan Faith Tate. I was born in Chicago Illinois, as my parents first child. My parents later had two more daughters; Taylor and Sydney, my younger sisters. When Sydney was born, we moved to Minnesota, and I have lived there ever since.
Being that I am from Minnesota, I know that I have had a quality education that not everybody can attest to. Coming to Howard it has only reassured the fact that the education system in the northern states is exceptional, and that it has adequately prepared me for college. However, it is not only the location that I received my education in that makes it unique, it is the path that I took in obtaining my education. When I was I second grade my mom decided that I was not being challenged enough in my classes, and that I should try to come to a higher level of learning. So the second half of second grade, I moved up to third grade, and finished the year there. From then on, I have always been younger in every grade that I've gone to.
Transitioning to new stages such as middle school and high school were kind of challenging because of my age at first. The school work was always easy, and I was able to excel at that in school. It was more the social aspect that held me back. But I soon adapted well and I was very prosperous socially and academically throughout my school years.
For college I actually never wanted to attend Howard University. It was my very last choice. I really wanted to go to Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. It's a very renowned school, whose name carries a lot of weight. However because they do not give merit based scholarships, so my parents couldn't afford that school. My next choice was the university of Minnesota, because it was more affordable and in my home town. But when I really looked into the scholarships I had received there, there certain catches to what my scholarship really included. And it turned out I couldn't go there either! So ultimately I had to come to Howard, where I had a full ride I was ignoring...
Now that I'm here I love Howard so much. I realize that this was the right choice for me to make. Although it's very far from home, I quickly adapted, and age was not a factor at all! I fit in quickly and easily and I'm learning a lot and enjoying myself here.
Over all I'm really proud of the progress I've made over the years to get here. I went through a lot in my schooling, and it was a weird transition because of my skipped grade. But really, it was worth it, and I'm really proud of myself for what I accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment